Got a couple of small items done over the past few days and wanted to share to keep the momentum going on my posts.
First, I replaced the manifold on the engine. Originally I was unsure of how to remove the old one so I went with ol’ faithful and started just pulling on it, but then took a closer look and realized there is actually a mechanism in place to hold it on.
The manifold slides over those two things sticking out from the intake (bottom two pictures), and there is a ring that fits over the manifold to hold it in place. I reused the ring on my new manifold, and found the easiest way to remove and replace the ring was to stretch it over the groove and then slide it down the manifold towards the narrowest part (which would be the front) and then reverse that to replace it on the new one.
Ta-da! The bottom left image should tell you why I needed to replace it…Also, there was absolutely no way I could have done this without the engine out, as was originally suggested to me. Maybe on most models, but definitely not with the body style that Betty is. I also replaced the rubber sleeve that goes over the manifold. Kind of interesting – The old one was actually two pieces and the replacement is one piece.
Pictures of the old pieces and one picture of the new one. There is a possibility the old one was at some point one piece, but that certainly is not the case now. Notice how much dirt came out of the round piece after I took it off. Here is what the carb looks like next to the new manifold:
Obviously I can’t put that on yet since I need to get the engine back in the frame first. I was told to resist the urge to twist it in, and instead to push it straight back on. I was also told by someone else that putting it on would be tricky and would require pushing the engine down to lift the manifold up and allow me to attach the carb. Sounds fun (not).
The other thing I did recently was start taking the back brake pedal apart. I’ve been putting off the cables since I am so intimidated by them, so last night I decided I would start with the back brake cable since it is the shortest and likely the simplest. I know the pedal on the frame is what engages the back brake, so I envisioned the cable just sort of snapping on the peddle and running underneath the frame? I was wrong, surprise surprise. So I started by looking up videos and found this one, and then started taking the pedal off the frame. The great news is the bolts holding it on were NOT STUCK! It was amazing. I’m not sure what I did to deserve that, but it was a very pleasant discovery. I also found out the pedal is much more complex than I thought, and it turns out the cable is sort of within the pedal (which makes a lot more sense, now that I think about it).
Here is the pedal hanging from the frame, which is where I left it last night (sorry for the dark pictures, my phone was nearly out of battery so it wouldn’t use flash). The pin in the bottom right picture is what holds the pedal on. The hole on the right of it is where a cotter pin goes. (Side note: Does anyone else feel like, fuck cotter pins? Maybe I’m just used to working with extremely old and crusty ones, but it feels like there must be a better way. Sure, putting them in is great, but removing them is such a pain in the ass.) Anyway, if you look at the picture of the pedal, the cable is on the left. I still think my decision to start with this cable was a good one because it is short and I can get my technique down a little before trying to run a cable through the whole frame.
I ended up stopping there because it was getting late and frankly my body was aching from crouching to get underneath the frame for so long. I guess this is what getting old feels like .The good news is I was feeling really pleased with my progress with these two items. I have noticed a major change in myself and my willingness to approach an unknown problem. In both of these cases I thought it was going to look one way and it ended up looking very different, but I problem solved until I figured out what was going on. I never got frustrated or overwhelmed, and I have a relatively clear idea of what is ahead. Hopefully I can use that momentum to tackle the cables soon.